Tuesday

Ethan's Birth Story (Part Five)

"Jennifer," I said tearfully, My blood pressure is really high, and I think getting upset might not be a good idea."

Immediately her tone changed from fearful to uplifting. She began pouring encouragement over me and Ethan.

While I was talking with Jennifer, a couple came in that I had never met. They introduced themselves as friends of Ronnie's. Someone had called them from ETBU, and since they knew Ronnie so well and lived near the hospital, they came right over. They stayed with me until I was taking in to surgery. They were great company and kept my spirits high.

Ronnie came in soon afterward and stayed at my side, making phone calls and answering important questions.

After an ultrasound, blood tests, and a visit from the on-duty obgyn, it was decided that Ethan would be born as soon as the operating room was ready. Ethan, being breech and 11 weeks premature, would not survive a vaginal delivery.
Dr. Shivvers agreed to let me have some ice chips, since it had been since 8am that I'd eaten, and it was already after 9pm. The nurse who had been refusing to let me have anything turned to him and said, "Fine, she can throw up all over you then!"
he followed her out the door and I don't recall seeing her after that!

At 10pm, they began prepping me for surgery.
They shaved the site for the incision. Inserted a catheter.
A nurse, a kind nurse, came in and leaned me over on her shoulder as the anesthesiologist inserted the spinal block. She breathed deeply with me. It was very calming, and I never felt the needle.

No comments: