Monday

Where I'm from

I am from long summer days and short winters. I am from tall pine trees and front porch swings. I am from clothes dried on the line with that crisp clean outdoor smell. I am from watermelons split open on the back porch and eaten slice by slice with my mouth. I am from slamming screen doors in the humid summer air. From playing tag in the whole neighborhood until it was dark. From playing freeze tag, and hide and go seek. From sprinklers in the St. Augustine grass. From bike rides to the Corner Store.

I am from the frame house next door to Grandma’s with her magnolia’s and gardenia’s. I am from sitting on the church floor during the sermon with a coloring book. I am from the sweet sound and realization that there was a way to be “saved” and asking Christ into my heart on a dark Tuesday night at the tender age of eleven.

I am from Allendale Baptist Church and the first to be baptized in the new church baptistery. I am from a longer than needed Texas year when Mom went through depression. From watching my Daddy pray for her to live. Watching Daddy plead for her to come back to us. Watching Daddy grieve his missing wife.

I am from a day when the sun shone again on Mom’s life. When the dust cleared and her eyes shone bright blue again. When shopping was the agenda for the day, and Daddy was the love of her life again. When people change and churches collapse and moving to a different church changed out lives.

I am from a strong youth group and a funny youth choir. I am from singing my heart out for the Lord. From dedicating my voice to Him and Him alone. From loving God and following after Him.

I am from rebellion and pain. Leaving all that was sacred to me and clinging to things of this world. Finding my way back to the feet of Christ and being held and loved as if I’d just come home from a long trip. Renewing my faith in Him and starting all over again. Finding out that grace has more to do with Him than with me.

I am from finding the love of my life in college and singing once more in the church choir. From praise teams and solos and audience applause. From places I wish to see again and some I do not. From laughter and love and things that are pure to pain and anguish and things that destroy.

I cling to the things of Heaven and yearn for them more everyday. I am from this world, craving to see another. I am a child of The King.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I did this awhile ago, you can read it here:

http://carrie.homeschooljournal.net/2005/05/05/where-im-from/

owlhaven said...

I loved this...

Mary, mom to many

Anonymous said...

Nice, Leah. Helps to know much more about you.

Anonymous said...

beautiful. I love how you told your story simply...and gave us such insight into your life. I am glad your mom came back.

~I did this today before I realized everyone else was too! :) They are very fun.