Sunday

Ethan's Birth Story (Part Three)

I cried the whole 30 minute drive to Longview. Ronnie sped silently and held my hand between shifting.

At Linda's office, I was weighed, my urine was tested for protein, and my blood pressure was checked.

The results:
weight=+20 pounds in 3 weeks
urine=+4
blood pressure=203/133

Becky said, "Lay down honey. You're going to the hospital."
She told me I would go to Dallas or Shreveport, depending on what the doctor on call decided about the condition of the baby, and that he would be born in a few days.

Ronnie drove me across the street to Longview Regional Medical Center. I was rushed to Labor and Delivery. An IV was started with Magnesium Sulfate, which made me really hot all over. They inserted a catheter and gave me a steroid shot in the butt. I was told the steroids were for Ethan's lung development.

Within an hour or so, the decision was made that I would be transported via ambulance to Dallas, and I was told again that my baby would be born in the next few days.

Just as they were loading me into the ambulance, Brother Robert Massey, our pastor at the time, and a good friend, Ricky Bryan, caught up with us. The EMT's waited so patiently as they encouraged and prayed over me.

1 comment:

Steph said...

wow! crazy! i would've been freekin' out. so glad you are telling your birth stories. when i was telling about matt's and ryder's it would get pretty emotional for me at times. but i'm so glad i got to do it! can't wait to hear to rest...